Bell Aircraft Corporation Buffalo, NY
Restored by American Helicopter Museum volunteers
Acquisition Source: Peter Wright Donation
The Bell 47D, developed from the 47B, introduced the 'goldfish bowl' molded canopy; this new model received F.A.A certification on February 25, 1948.
The U.S. Army ordered sixty‑five H‑13Bs and fifteen of an ambulance version as the H‑13C, and the U.S. Navy ordered twelve HTL‑2s. In 1949 the 3‑seat Bell 47D‑1 appeared, with an openwork tailboom (as on the H‑13C) and an underfin. Eighty seven H‑13Ds and four hundred and ninety dual‑control H‑13Es were supplied to the U.S. Army; the U.S. Navy counterparts were the HTL‑4 and HTL‑5. The Navy's HTL‑3 corresponded to the Model 47E, a 2-seater with a 200 h.p. Franklin 6V4‑200‑C32 engine; while the Army's XH‑13F (Bell Model 201) was a solitary testbed for a Continental T51 turbine engine.
The H‑ I3D was primarily used by the Army as an evacuation helicopter that became the mainstay of the M.A.S.H (Mobile Army Surgical Hospital) units during the Korean War. 80% of the 25,000 helicopter evacuations in Korea were accomplished by Army and Marine H‑13s. The aircraft was popularized by the hit television show M*A*S*H. Civil and military versions of the aircraft were produced by Bell until 1966 and production continued overseas for many years thereafter.